Saturday, February 16, 2008

Bruce Allen, thanks for reading!

Anyone who reads my musings on this site, knows that I have been a strong proponent of Michael Bennett. Yesterday, it was announced by the Buccaneers, that he has signed a new contract which will keep him in pewter and red for atleast a few more years. The former 1st round pick in 2001 has the blazing speed and explosiveness which will help him become the home run hitter which Coach Gruden is always talking about on offense.

There were questions this season after the trade which brought Bennett to Tampa, regarding his ability to grasp the playbook. I feel, going into next season, Bennett is going to open some eyes around the Bay area. Half a regular season in the books and all the OTA and offseason mini camps will benefit Bennett. The Bucs front office should right now also be working on extending Earnest Grahams' contract and reward him for this season's stellar performance. I realize Graham is under contract, and if I stand by what I've said in the past, he should honor the contract. However, now that the Bucs are out of salary cap hell and have money to play with, he should be locked up to a 4 year deal. Graham is a stand up guy, who for years, after all the cuts and resignings, did whatever the organization asked of him. When the team asked him to pound the rock, he did, very successfully.

I know next year, I cant wait to see this young offensive line continue to gel, as B.J. Askew blocks for Graham and Bennett out of the backfield. Imagine, home games in September and October, where the stadium temperatures are rival to the tenth level of hell, and thats just sitting in the stands. Graham wears down the defense in the first half and Bennett kills the opponents with the speed in the second half. Is it football season yet? No. Today is only some race in Daytona where everyone turns left for 500 miles. I wonder whats on the NFL Network?

Stay tuned this week, I'll be addressing the upcoming free agency and name the players I'd like to see the Bucs acquire.