Monday, September 21, 2009

Drew Brees breaks some records this year

Regular readers of my blog know I have already stated that Drew Brees will break the 5,084 single season passing yardage record set by Dandy Dan Marino of the Miami Mullets back in 1984. Last year, Marino watched as Brees fell 17 yards short of his single season record while he was filming his Nutra-System weight loss commercials. Well, in the now famous words of Terrell Owens, Dan better get his popcorn ready. (without butter of course)

I have the Saints as my favorite from the NFC to go to the Super Bowl this year and Drew Brees, if he stays healthy, should re-write the record books. In two games already this season, he has thrown for 669 yards and 9 touchdowns. Sure, 6 of those touchdowns were against the Detroit Lions, but he threw 3 yesterday against the Philadelphia secondary and he does have two games upcoming with the Bucs. I've broken down the remaining games for the Saints and how I feel Brees will break not only the single season passing yardage record of Dan Marino but will eclipse Tom Brady's record of 50 touchdown passes. In order to eclipse Marino's record, Bree's needs to throw for an average of 316 yards per game. I've broken down the remaining games, indicated my passing td predictions and the games where he will throw for more than 320 yards passing are indicated by an asterisk(*) baseball fans are familiar with the asterisk.

3. @Buffalo-3tds *
4. New York Jets- 2tds
5. Bye
6. NY Giants-3tds *
7. @Miami-3tds *
8. Atlanta-3 tds*
9. Carolina -4tds* ( by the halfway mark of the season-27 tds)
10. @St Louis- 4 tds *
11. @ Tampa- 4 tds *
12. New England- 3tds
13. @ Washington- 2 tds
14. @Atlanta- 4tds
15. Dallas- 3tds*
16. Tampa-4tds*
17. Carolina- 1 td. (Brees sits after the first series to rest for the playoffs)

You can print this blog post out and stick it on your fridge to follow along as the season progresses. I've watched alot of football in my life and I've never seen a quarterback who is as dialed in as Brees is right now. I'm sure he's more concerned with getting the Saints to their first ever Super Bowl, but I believe this year he'll shatter some NFL benchmark records but only if he and has receivers remain healthy.