Monday, November 16, 2009

Week 11, can you believe it already??????

I know, it's Monday night and I'm making my picks already for this weeks games. We've gotten into the part of the NFL season where Thursday night games come into play and the so-called experts on sites such as ESPN wait until Friday morning to reveal their Thursday night picks. Well, that doesn't help you if you are betting straight up in a pick'em football pool which includes the Thursday night game does it? Nope. Not to mention I'll be on the water for a few days, so might as well get this out of the way now.

I told you loyal readers last week I would not go 8-5 again this week. I delivered on that promise. I went 11-3, and I would have gone 12-3 had I included my pick of Carolina over Atlanta but I omitted it so my season straight up record is now 101-42. That's pushing over 70% (the record is right here online-week by week picks) and I know some folks have won money from my picks, I appreciate my free food and drinks so far this season from Lee Roy Selmons pick 63.

I've got to start this week's column with the question WHY? Why did the Cleveland Browns get a home Monday Night Football game this year? Generally, teams with decent winning records and popular fan bases get primetime games based on the previous year's record. Cleveland has scored 5 offensive touchdowns in it's last 60 quarters of football, hardly a compelling draw for MNF. Outside of Cleveland and Baltimore, I'd bet more people watched the Oprah/Sarah Palin interview today than the football game tonight. I know I was watching the new 5 part World War II series on the History Channel, only checking in to see how Ray Rice was doing for my fantasy team. The Bucs won the Super Bowl (that would be Super Bowl 37 for my Eagles friends reading)
and then opened the season ON THE ROAD on Monday Night Football. Yeah, it was in Philly, and we kicked their ass again in their brand new stadium, but, every Super Bowl winner since has had a home game, primetime since. I'm not too worried about Monday Night Football, playoffs or the like with the Bucs right now so let's move on.

Speaking of the Bucs, I don't believe my desire to see Junior Morris replaced at the end of the season will be realized anytime soon. Jon Gruden just agreed to a long term extension on his ESPN contract today, meaning he will be in the announcer booth for the remainder of his Bucs contract and the tightwad Glazers will have to pay him over 3 million for the next two years while he collects from ESPN as well. Good for you Jon. I do think however, that Junior Morris will remain on the sidelines for the Bucs, regardless of what happens this season. It is looking more and more like a Collective Bargaining Agreement won't be reached and 2010 will be an uncapped season, which will result in what most are saying, an owners lockout in 2011. With such uncertainty, and the cheap owners of the Bucs, why hire a high profile coach only to watch him draw a multi million dollar check and go flats fishing for snook and redfish while the owners lock out the players from playing football. Yup. Welcome to the 1980's Bucs fans.

The Bye weeks are finally over (not that that matters to anyone who doesn't play fantasy football, but, ya freaking-hoo) Wimps need injury reports, I call'em as I see 'em. How about you limp dicks over at ESPN? You don't have an "expert" who is beating my record yet this season. My record is here online for the past two years, Now on to this weeks games:

Thursday Night:
Miami @ Carolina- Both teams coming off a short week. Miami has Ronnie Brown down with injury. Carolina wins.

Washington Crackheads @ Dallas Cowboys- The Crackheads got me on my parlay this week. I took Denver and gave the points, then out of no where, the Crackhead defense takes Kyle Orton out of the game and then Denver is forced to put in, the spleenless Chris Simms, who goes 3-14 for 7 yards and Denver loses again. (more later on that) Dallas is playing at home and Jerry Jones is pissed they hell off after that showing in Green Bay on Sunday. Dallas wins.

Cleveland @ Detroit- WOW. Must I make a pick in this one? Thank God I'm not in this tv market. Detroit wins simply because they are at home. I'll be shocked to see if 30,000 fans show up for the game.

San Fran @ Green Bay- I really thought Dallas would beat Green Bay at home last week after their poor showing in Tampa. Green Bay has really got to dig deep in the coming schedule if they want to make the playoffs. Green Bay wins this week, but the playoffs.............in question.

Pittsburgh @Kansas City- I took Cincy and the points last week, but I thought Pittsburgh would win. Cincy is balling right now but take Pittsburgh against a horrible Kansas City team.

Atlanta @ New York Football Giants- The Giants were a bit overhyped this preseason, and when they shot out of the gate at 5-0, everyone was getting ready for a Manning brother Super Bowl. Atlanta, as a franchise, has never posted back to back winning seasons since 1966, and it's looking like that trend might continue this year. I'm taking the Giants to be very motivated this week off the bye which saw Philly lose another game.

New Orleans @ Tampa Bay- Brees throws for 300 yards and three scores, Saints win by 13 points, my only question is can Aquib Talib shut down Colston one to one? Bucs lose, Saints win.

Buffalo @ Jacksonville- What is up with Jacksonville? One week they look like a playoff contender, the next? I had Jax+7 in the parlay this week and they won straight up. Buffalo is horrible in run defense, I see Jacksonville beating Buffalo and MJD running for 150 and 2, maybe 3 scores.

Indy @ Baltimore- Baltimore played with lots of emotion tonight, they will be on a short week, Peyton Manning coming to town, Indy goes 10-0.

Seattle @ Minnesota- I really felt once Matt Hasselbeck got back behind center, that Seattle would make a run for the NFC West title. Not so much now. Hasslebeck is 34 but playing like he's 50. Favre is 41 and playing like he's 25. Favre has lots of toys around him though Hasselbeck doesn't have. Minnesota goes to 9-1.

Arizona @St Louis- This doesn't warrant disscussion. Arizona easily.

NY Jets @ New England- Whoa boy. I feel sorry to be a New York Jet this coming week. They got beat at home by the Jaguars, and now they have to travel to New England and face a pissed off Patriots team. New England wins by double digits in a key division game.

Cincy @ Oakland- Benson might be out for Cincy, doesn't matter, Palmer throws for 300 and 3 scores.

San Diego @ Denver- This is going to be a great game. I predicted, when the Broncos were 5-0, that they would be the first team in NFL history to go 5-0 and miss the playoffs, let me search the archieves.............. (October 16th) Chargers are on fire right now and the NFL figured out how to beat the Broncos. San Diego wins. Norv Turner figures out how to hang onto his job one more year, again..........

October 16th, 2009.
Monday night-
Denver-San Diego. Denver has come out of the gate strong, winning games they shouldn't have won(see Cincinnati) and beating weak opponents (see Dallas) and last week winning a game outright against the overrated Patriots in overtime. I don't see the Broncos going into San Diego this week, after a bye and beating the Chargers. Phillip Rivers should have a large game. 37-34 final score. Could Denver be a team which starts the season 5-0 and fails to miss the playoffs? I think so.

Philly @ Chicago- The Eagles defense will blitz, blitz, blitz against Jay Cutler and the Bears. Cutler had 5 interceptions against the 49'er's and even if Westbrook is finished for the Eagles, Philly wins this game and stays in the hunt for a playoff birth.

Monday Night
Tennessee @ Houston- This should be a high scoring matchup next week. The smoking hot running back, Chris Johnson, from the Titans who has rushed for 500 yards and 6 scores in the last three games against high flying Matt Schuab and Andre Johnson of the Texans. I believe the Titans are grounded and Houston after a bye week prove they were worthy when they pulled withing 3 of Indy a week ago, Houston wins.