Sunday, March 30, 2008

Time to say goodbye...........


Over the past few months, my short haired domestic cat, named Orphie, developed a lump on her chest. I've had Orph since she was barely the size of a keeper sea trout. Orph got her name because my nextdoor neighbor's mother went out to her car one day and heard a noise under the hood. Upon popping the hood, a measly 10 inch long, tiger striped domestic short hair was revealed. There was no sign from where she had originated. My girlfriend at the time, decided, she would find a home. The home was with us. Coming from a family background of always having dogs, large dogs, German Shepards, I was not so crazy about having a cat.

Orphie grew on me, she'd play fetch. She'd meet you at the front door at night when you came home. Once, I came home and found the woman who introduced me to cats, in my bed, in my home, having sex with someone else. Needless to say, the woman was sent packing, and I got custody of Orphie. Orph and I grew into the best of friends. She would sit and watch football on Sunday's, the mere sound of the X-Files theme song would bring her to my side. She was my best friend through a very difficult period of my life when my best friend died suddenly. My best friend was also the neighbor who delivered Orph into my life. I still live nextdoor to my friends' house who passed away, and each and every day which goes by, I think about Peter.

Orphie developed a lump on her chest these past few months. 2 weeks ago, she opened the lump while rummaging through my garage. I had already conducted some online vet research, and last week, I was confirmed about my beliefs, Orph has cancer. There is no cure. X-rays show she has some fluid starting to build up in her lungs, surgery will require chemo treatment. I don't want chemo treatment, and would never do that to my child. She's got a week or so left, and I'm being selfish because I've been gone so much over the past few years. 14 years we've been together. It's very difficult, and I don't think I'll be able to deliver her to the vets office when the time comes. It sucks. It simply sucks to have to put a pet down. I will miss her paw having to touch my head while we are sleeping at night. Most of all, I'll miss her greeting me at the front door, regardless of how my day went, and over the past 6 months, my days have sucked.

I hope that I was able to provide Orph a good experience here during her time. Lord knows for years, she was getting tuna, fresh grouper, fresh snapper, tilefish etc.

It's simply very difficult to say goodbye.