Thursday, October 29, 2009

Yes Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus

Since 1976, I have missed only 6 Tampa Bay Buccaneer games on either television or radio. I have no sources, I'm not an insider, I just have gut feelings about my beloved team and sometimes it appears I am dead on correct.

On August 22nd, I blogged the following,
Junior appears , from all reports, he's going with Byron Sandwich, and he'll be the ragdoll for the first 7 games. Then I suppose on week 9, the Messiah, Josh Freeman will emerge. Hope you season ticket holders remaining, enjoy your ride. SUCKAS...................

Yesterday, Junior announced that Freeman will be the starting quarterback on week 9. I say, why the hell not, it's not like this season means anything any longer, let's see what he's got. Based on what Junior has shown so far, I'm not expecting much from his handpicked quarterback.

Now today, a nugget of hopefully fantastic news has emerged.
http://www.businessinsider.com/nfls-buccaneers-put-on-the-block-2009-10

Did I not opine that this was a possibility on August 15th 2009?
Junior is well over his head going into this year. Bucs fans have just seen this team sink to where it was in the 1990's. After watching the first pre-season game tonight, tons of single season game tickets are stillavailable. Junior isn't helping. I believe Junior is a stop gap coach as the Glazers are trying to sell the team. The Glazers made their money. They bought a cheap team. Got a new stadium, extorted the stadium on season ticket holders, collected revenue on every non football related event in Ray Jay. Interesting tonight, the announcers kept talking about how fan friendly the Bucs stadium is. The Bucs were 60 million under the salary cap going into the free agent season and didnt spend shit. Bucs ownership wonders why no one wants season tickets?

This story was reported this morning on Tampa sports radio station 620 WDAE, which is the Bucs flagship station in the Bay area. If the Glazers are in a financial hardship, I am all for getting a committed ownership team in at One Buc Place. One Tampa resident I would love to see at the helm is Eddie DeBartolo. All he accomplished as owner of the San Fransisco 49ers was to record 5 Super Bowl wins. He's made comments that he would like to return to the ownership ranks again. This story also gives credence to why I think Gruden was fired after a 9-7 season. I believe the Glazers knew that Bruce Allen and Jon Gruden would want to spend as much of the salary cap space which was available.

If DeBartolo does buy the team, the Bucs still have a Super Bowl winning coach under contract, Jon Gruden. DeBartolo has a history with Gruden, when he was with the 49er's in 1990. Gruden has said during Monday Night Football this season that he is really studying the spread and wildcat offense. I would love to see the wildcat offense in Tampa with Carnell Williams, Derrick Ward and Earnest Graham. Hell, I'd like to see ANY offense in Tampa. 2010 is an looking like an uncapped salary year. With DeBartolo as owner, willing to spend money to get the players on the field needed, Gruden would flourish as head coach. Will the Bucs get a fantastic Christmas gift this off season or a lump of coal?