Monday, April 21, 2008

I Love You

Tuesday morning, at 9 am, I have to deliver my 14 year old baby to the vets office so that she can be put to rest after battling cancer. This is the most difficult thing I've ever done in my life and after watching her behavior over this past weekend, and then again today, I never wanted Orph to suffer any pain. Over the weekend, her tumor opened up and she had some massive bleeding and then she became lethargic. X-rays a month ago showed she was starting to get a fluid build up in her lungs and over the weekend, her breathing became raspy and shallow.

Orphie isn't the cat she was 3 weeks ago, leaping around, wanting affection, leaping from window to window. She's now, today, she's become a sedentary cat, who is irritated by the ear scratches she used to love so much.

Orph, I've told you this, but I want to say it again. You were rescued out of Pete's mothers car and found a home with me. You meant so much to me in a period which was so dark for me, especially after Peter died so suddenly. You were my best friend, loving without boundary's, regardless of how my day went, there you were at my front door. How many Sundays did we sit on the couch and watch football? And, no, you didn't like nachos, only the cheese. And the sundays when the fox football doubleheaders were over and the X-Files came on.

How many days did Mom stop by and feed you when I was out fishing, or when I was out of town the past few years. Mom says she isn't a cat person, but Orph, you grew on her. She loves you very much.

Karen, Mom and I are going to miss you so very much. I hope that I brought as much joy to your time here as you brought to mine. I'm crying as I type this, but you and I both know it's time to end the pain which started in the past few days.

The trip to the vets in the morning is not going to be easy for any of us. After 14 years, it's tough to say goodbye. Hopefully, you can stay with us through spirit, because you'll never be forgotten Orph. I love you Orph.