Monday, June 2, 2008

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

Regular readers here know I'm not a hockey fan. I was introduced into the nuances of the game by my good friend Peter Davis, but I never really got hooked on what seemed to be a soccer game on ice. It must be a northern thing.

Well, my girlfriend is from Southern Canada, errr, Michigan, and "her" Red Wings were playing game 5 of the Stanley Cup Finals this evening. The game started at 8pm, and here it is 12:50 am Tuesday morning and the game just finished. Detroit was leading 3-2 with 35 seconds to go in the game, when Maxine Talbot scored a goal to tie the game. Well, this isn't regular season hockey where you play one period and have a shootout, it's sudden death. Extra innings in a baseball game is referred to as free baseball, the folks in Detroit almost got a free extra playoff game for the price of admission tonight. At 9:57 of the 3rd overtime Petr Sykora scored the game winning goal. Outside of the 1980 Olympics when the US beat the Soviet Union, it had to be the most exciting hockey game I've ever watched.

Peter, I know somewhere, somehow, you had to be watching tonight. That was one hell of a hockey game.